Need some lunch inspiration? These chicken burrito bowls are so easy to prepare on the
weekend and to take as lunch to work. Packed with protein and fibre, they will help you avoid the midday energy crash. They also freeze well so you have some healthy, easy dinners on hand. Experiment with some extra veggies and toppings.
|Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless||3 each||3 each|
|Bell peppers, sliced||3 each||3 each|
|Red onion, large, sliced||1 each||1 each|
|Olive oil||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Taco seasoning||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Salt||½ tsp||7 mL|
|Pepper||½ tsp||7 mL|
|Salsa||1 jar||1 jar|
|Brown rice, cooked||3 cups||750 mL|
|Black beans, drained & rinsed||1 can||1 can|
|Corn||1 can||1 can|
|Cheddar cheese, shredded||1 cup||250 mL|
|Lime, wedged||1 each||1 each|
|Cilantro, fresh||½ cup||125 mL|
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips.
- Add a base of brown rice to 6 food storage containers. Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Store in the refrigerator (and enjoy any extras immediately). Can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Meal-prep FTW! Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings ( 516 g /serving). 1 serving = ~1.5 cups